Monday, January 26, 2009

January 26, 2009

When raising children it seems like there are always milestones to be celebrating. Today is one of those days...

Ben was brushing his teeth in the shower and he said his tooth was "wiggly." On a side note, a lot of Ben's friends have lost teeth so naturally he has been wishing some of his would fall out too. He is very anxious for the "tooth fairy" to come and visit. Anyhow, he showed me and sure enough his tooth is quite "wiggly." He couldn't wait to go show his dad.

Ben ran down the hall and loudly told his father about his tooth. Jacob heard the announcement too and happily replied "I can fall you on the ground so it will come out." I think that means "now we have a reason to wrestle (to make your tooth come out) without getting into trouble."

The boys have had cabin fever and I think mom and dad have it too. Luke and I have run out of patience and frustration with the boys has been a common theme the last few days/weeks. However, I would not trade this for anything. We are so blessed to be celebrating these mile stones with our children as we have found out some parents in our church won't be given this opportunity with their children on earth.

I have cried more in the last 24 hours than I have in a year. Our church family lost a 10 year old boy on Friday to cancer and a 10 month old baby underwent surgery for cancer that they found out about on Thursday. The family of the 10 month old really thought she was suffering from ear pain and possibly needing ear tubes and felt like some of her "fussiness was due to "teething." I can't describe in words how my heart goes out for these families.

It is tough when tragedy hits so close to home. You think of the "what ifs" and then your mind wanders........Luke's 6 month CT Scan was today where they are still watching the other spots on the left side of his lung. Part of me is wanting the Dr. to call and say everything is okay but the other side of me is not wanting to answer the phone if Dr. Claibornes office calls before his follow up appointment in February.

2 years ago I am not sure how well I would have handled Luke's cancer, as two years ago we didn't have a church home. I am so thankful that Luke and I found a church we both felt comfortable attending in order to learn about the word of God. Two years ago I would not be praising God for these circumstances. However, today I am. I take great comfort in knowing that through all the hardships God is with us. ALWAYS. As Ben memorized for AWANA'S "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

I have written and rewritten another paragraph but decided to leave it out as my thoughts aren't coming out right......It must be after 10 PM and I have turned into a pumpkin (not quite). Thanks for reading this as I went off task.

1 comment: