Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cooking

I know this is a shocker to many of you but cooking has NEVER been "my" thing.....When I had to cook for myself I would eat a lot of cereal and instant oatmeal for dinner. I was always weight conscious (not saying I was in shape or slim) but needless to say food in general FREAKS ME OUT. Further, when I became the director of a new program that started at the "grass roots" level, I worked 10-12 hour days 5-6 days per week (pre-children). Luke could always fend for himself and would have supper ready for me when I came home.....(yes, I know I was spoiled and FYI, he always did the grocery shopping too!)

When I was in the mood to cook, I could cook. I just hated spending all that time preparing meals that took 15 minutes (if that) to eat. I could think of 100....wait....1,000 different things that needed to be done other than cooking. You ask, why is she regressing? Well, let me tell you!

I have cooked and baked more things in the last 6 weeks than I have done in my whole adult life! I have done meal planning, grocery shopping, made homemade snacks, bought cookbooks, subscribed to different blogs, etc. just to learn this trade called cooking that I should have learned years ago.

So last night I made this (I remembered to take a picture after I started eating it):
What is it you ask....Pork chops with apples and onions, mashed potatoes and veggies. This recipe is from.......don't fall off of your chair BUT none other than MARTHA STEWART! WTH!?! Yes, I nailed Martha's recipe and I think....wait...I know mine turned out better than hers!

I have frequented many different food websites. But this Crockpot 365 is one of my favorite cookbook and blogs right now while I am in my infant stages learning how to cook, meal plan and grocery shop for 2 weeks at a time. Nothing is easier than slow cooking. Another favorite is organic thrifty which is also on my favorites sidebar. Both provide recipes for gluten free, high protein, etc. diets.

So for my BFF in Colorado, I thought of you last night. I wished you were here to taste it. AND I know you would be impressed with all of the things I have made in the last month. Here is just a sample of what I have made: homemade applesauce, candied nuts, homemade brownies, roasted my own almonds/walnuts, grain free muffins and granola, puppy chow, trail mix, and at least 30 days worth of "natural" suppers (that don't come in boxes). I think most of what I have made is good because the scales told me this morning that I am 9# heavier than I was in December. I guess now I need to get on the treadmill, but that is a different post!

So Jenn when are you coming out to visit? I will cook yummy, yummy food for you. Also, if you want to leave a comment you can do so by going to anonymous and following the directions..........that is a hint Ms. BFF!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I see that you have resorted to bribery! Yes, my little sunshine I will come visit you as long as you don't cook chicken for me. (Remember that time in college with the not so cooked chicken?) However, I am suspicious that with all this cooking that there may be leftovers that you don't want to touch and require my fridge cleaning skills. I will come visit as soon as Kansas thaws. Miss you!
    Love,
    Your BFF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to Go Ang! I knew you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BFF..Ahhhh you know me so well! Of course I am in need of your splendid fridge cleaning skills...However, I promise no chicken and fridge cleaning if you come. However, I may need help with the little finger prints all over the walls and the doggy nose prints (aka snot) on my sliding glass door! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy fridge cleaning. It is always fun to figure out what something was before it became furry and green. :) I will keep my eyes peeled for cheap flights. Probably April/May. Have a good weekend.

    BFF

    ReplyDelete