Saturday, January 23, 2010

Luke's Home-Part 2

Monday was the big day for our family, knowing our missing "link" would be home that night. Mid afternoon I got a call from Luke and our conversation went something like this:

Luke: Could you call and make me an appointment with Dr. E.. tomorrow?
Me: Sure. What do I need to tell them you need to be seen for? Parasites or what?
Luke: (Hesitating) Just tell them I scratched my leg in Liberia.
Me: Okay
Luke: My phone is almost out of battery so I will call you on my way home.

The conversation was very short and to the point as you can tell. However, I know my husband I knew he wasn't being very forthcoming. Regardless, I called and made an appointment.

Once Luke got home that night and somewhat "settled" after 26 hours of being en-route to Kansas City from Liberia and 3 hours on the road in the fog.........The truth finally came out as he was little delirious from traveling.

Luke: "Don't freak out when you see my leg."
Me: "Okay"
Luke: "I hurt my leg in Liberia and had to get stitches."
Me: (looking at his leg with a grin) "I knew something was up but I didn't think it required that many stitches!"

Here is a picture of his "cut" according the blog on 1/14/10. 13 stitches on the bottom and 26 up top for a total of 39 stitches. It doesn't look as "angry" in this picture as it did when he first got home...Thank goodness!
Luke had a great story behind the care he got in a 3rd world hospital. I think he was a little worried about cross contamination, hence the reason for the Dr. appointment in the US. Thankfully, he was on an antibiotic for Malaria two weeks before he left and is to be on it another month. The antibiotic he is taking is also used to treat staph infection so Luke was covered. We will continue to watch out for other signs of infection but so far so good.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Sorry to comment here. I didn't have your email on my laptop. I heard today that there is a para job at SB. Talk to Jan asap if you are interested. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete